The Fund for Youth Organizations (FYO) is a three-year program designed to support youth-led organizations in the Western Balkans (WB6). It is meant to lower thresholds for young people to assume greater social responsibility. Central for the attainment of this goal is the support for youth organizations to become central actors of civil society. Between 2020 and 2022, 22 grants will be awarded to enable at least 8 different youth organizations to implement activities that are embedded in annual work plans. A grant is meant to fund an organization’s structural costs as well as activities.
Currently, the FYO is supporting 6 partner organizations. In order to introduce two new members to the fund, SHL is inviting eligible organizations to submit proposals. Organizations can submit no more than one proposal each.
Bridging the gap between small funds (e.g. awarded by youth banks) and larger funds provided by international donors to youth organizations in the WB6, the Fund is designed to position youth organizations:
- as vehicles for young people to lead by example and to participate in decision-making processes from the local up to the national level
- as platforms that enable the formation of social environments that attract young activists through high degrees of inclusiveness and openness and to encourage young people to be actively involved in transforming their communities
- as institutions that foster critical thinking and civic education and hold up values of good governance and democracy among young people
2. Duration and Size of Grant
The financial support for any individual organization will be in the range of .6.000 € to 12.000 €.
SHL funding should cover a minimum period of 6 Months. The earliest start is May 2021 and project implementation needs to end in 2021. If the cooperation between Schüler Helfen Leben and the respective youth organization is successful, a follow-up grant covering the whole of 2022 may be offered.
3. Eligibility Criteria
Youth organizations are subject to the following requirements:
- Leadership must not be older than 30 years
- Successful implementation of projects with a combined funding volume of at least 5.000 € over the last two years (2019-2020)
- Reliable and participatory structures based in statute and daily practice
- Access for young people without regard of religious affiliation, sex, nationality, and social background
- No affiliation with political parties or the military and neutrality in that regard
- Official registration as acivil society or non-profit organization in the respective country
The geographical area of support through the FYO is limited to the following Countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Serbia
4. Selection Process
Proposals must be submitted electronically via email by completing the application form. The applications received will be subject to a screening by SHL staff to determine their integrity. Those applications that pass the screening process will be forwarded to a committee for final selection.
The following timeline will apply for consideration of applications:
- Deadline for submission of proposals – 10 January 2021
- Screening of applications – January-February
- Notification by SHL staff to all applicants – End of February 2021
- Review by SHL’s selection committee– March 2021
- Notification of successful applicants no later than 31st of March 2021
- Finalization of cooperation agreements (contracts) – April 2021
- Earliest start of the projects – May 2021
Applications must be submitted until the 10th of January 2021 to:
- FYO – Proposal 2021 – New Partnerships
- Please submit the Word file + scan of signed print-out
- Annex 1 Organizational Details
- Please submit the Word file
- Current statute of the applying organization
- Please submit as Word file
- Organizational chart(s) of the applying organization(s)