Call for Proposals 2017
12th CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Foundation Schüler Helfen Leben (SHL)
SHL is seeking applications for support of educational youth project activities in the eligible countries (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Serbia). The general funding purpose is to strengthen civil society, with a strong focus on socially, economically and politically minoritized and endangered groups.
Areas of Support
This year SHL will pay exclusive attention to projects that approach challenges in the context of migration and immigration of youth – may it either be young refugees, IDPs, returnees, asylum seekers or transit migrants. These topics have been relevant in Southeast Europe for several decades before, although the situation of refugees on the so-called Balkan route has changed in the summer of 2015.
The applicant’s projects must be active in the following fields:
- The participation and integration of young migrants and refugees in their local community/public life.
- Addressing critical living conditions, such as poverty and lack of perspectives of the above mentioned target groups.
- Projects that enable political participation and raise awareness for the situation of the target groups thus strengthening civil society.
Following the principles of SHL special priority will be given to activities integrating decision-making and participation structures of youth.
Who is Eligible to Apply
SHL partners with local non-governmental organisations that:
- have participatory and decision-making youth structures in their organizational statute and in daily practice
- implement projects conducted by youth
- have a proven track record in the proposed activities
- have a clear plan focusing on developing and/or diversifying their activities
- have the technical, managerial and financial capacity to effectively and efficiently implement its activities
- share SHL‘s values, including vision, mission, internationally recognized principles concerning human rights, labour and child protection policies
- can use SHL funding to extend their core activities in ways that create additional opportunities for children and youth
SHL finance will consist of direct funding.
The financial support for any individual intervention would normally be in the range of EUR 100,000 to 150,000. SHL funding is possible up to a maximum of 3 years.
Expected impact by indicators (to be clearly stated in the application):
- Beneficiary focus
- Development impact
- Financial sustainability
- Management and implementation strategy
- Cost effectiveness
- Quality of the proposal
- SHL has limited resources and hence each application will be assessed to determine its development impact and effectiveness. The quality of the proposal and not the financial outlay is the overall guiding principle for assessment of suitability of the intervention for support from SHL.
- The objectives must be achievable within a specified period of time. Past track record of the applicant, including technical, managerial and financial capacity to execute the intervention and reach the targeted goals in stipulated time is an important consideration in selection.
- SHL will select the best applications based upon the proposed activity that contributes the most towards SHL’s aims and objectives.
Monitoring and Evaluation
A suitable monitoring and evaluation system to assess the impact of the SHL supported activities shall be integral part of SHL financing. The baseline data for each activity is to be available or collected to demonstrate the effectiveness and impact of the activities before the activity or cooperation starts. At the completion of the activity an assessment of the outputs and development impact shall be made. In interim and annual reports, results are presented as compared to the planned objectives.
- Proposal must be submitted electronically via email by completing the application form.
- The applications received will be screened internally by SHL staff for their completeness and for meeting the basic criteria as given above.
- The applications passing the screening process will be subjected to a detailed approval process commencing with an evaluation by SHL selection committee.
- The applicants of proposals being recommended for long application may be required to provide further information along with supporting documentation, as required by SHL.
- The selection committee reviews the long application and approves or rejects the proposal. The project coordinator will communicate the decision by the selection committee to the applicants.
Process after Approval by the Selection Committee for the Long Application
Once a proposal is approved by the selection committee, the proposals will be presented at the project selection conference (25.-28.05.2017) where high school students will decide on which project receives funding. At this stage after the approval of the long applications, SHL may engage with the organisation and assist in obtaining desired information to complete the presentation of the proposal which may include visits to the proponents and activity sites.
Engagement of SHL in the process does not guarantee funding by SHL of the proposal since the final decision is taken by students at the project selection conference.
Applications must be presented using the attached project application template. Project proposals must be submitted in either English or German. The template must be completed fully and accompanied by all requested supporting documentation.
Incomplete applications (i.e. applications which are not presented on the template provided, fail to fully address all points in the application form, do not stick to the sign limit, and/or which are not accompanied by the relevant documentation) will NOT be taken into consideration.
The deadline for applications within this Call for Proposals is January 9, 2017. Proposals received after this deadline will NOT be taken into consideration. Please note that technical factors which may prevent receipt of a proposal before the given deadline will NOT be taken into consideration; it is strongly recommended that applications be submitted well in advance.
Project proposals must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following timeline will apply for consideration of applications:
- a) Deadline for receipt of short applications – 9 January 2017
- b) 1st review by the selection committee of SHL – 27 January 2017
- c) Notification of successful applicants no later than 3 February 2017: Invitation for long application
- d) Deadline for receipt of long applications – 17 February 2017
- e) 2nd review by the selection committee of SHL – 17 March 2017
- f) Notification of successful applicants no later than 24 March 2017
- g) Selection of final project on project selection conference – 25-28 May 2017
The applicants of proposals being placed for consideration of long applications may be required to provide further information, in the formats provided by SHL, for the proposed intervention together with supporting documentation.
Deadline for receipt of short applications - 9 January 2017
Deadline for receipt of long applications - 17 February 2017
Selection of final project on project selection conference - 25-28 May 2017